· 2 large floury potatoes (e.g. Rooster) (approximately 400g)
· 300g savoy or green cabbage, shredded
· 70g cooked, shredded bacon or ham
· 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
· 130ml cream
· 130ml skimmed milk
· ½ tablesp. butter
· 15g breadcrumbs
· 75g mature cheddar cheese, grated
· 10g Parmesan cheese, grated
· ½ tablesp. chopped parsley
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Potato, Bacon & Cabbage Bake
1. Heat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C (400°F).
2. Parboil the potatoes for five minutes then drain in a colander. Once cool, thinly slice the potatoes and set aside.
3. Wilt the cabbage, season well and stir in the ham or bacon.
4. Heat the cream, milk, butter and garlic in a saucepan with a pinch of salt and pepper and set aside.
5. In an ovenproof dish, layer the potatoes, cheese, ham and cabbage, finish with a layer of potatoes and sprinkle with cheddar, Parmesan and parsley.
6. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden on top.
7. Serve immediately!