· 2 small Rooster potatoes (approximately 200g)
· 2 scallions, finely chopped
· 75g plain flour
· 1 teasp. baking powder
· 100-150ml whole milk
· 1 lemon, zest only (reserve lemon for juice)
· ½ tablesp. rapeseed or olive oil to cook
· 1 avocado, lightly mashed
· Handful watercress (optional), to serve (or rocket, if preferred)
· 150g smoked salmon
· 1 egg (optional)
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper
POTATO PANCAKE WITH SMASHED AVOCADO AND SMOKED SALMON
1. Dice, boil and drain the potatoes. Whilst still hot, mash the potatoes then allow to cool before adding in the scallions and seasoning. Lightly whisk the flour and baking powder with the milk (100ml at first) and lemon zest and whisk into the mash.
2. Check the seasoning and consistency (add a little extra milk if the mix is too stiff, but it should still be thick).
3. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. When hot, pour in the batter and use a spatula to spread the mix out as it’s quite thick. When the pancake has puffed up and browned underneath (about 2 minutes). Carefully flip over to cook the other side.
1. Place a pancake on each plate, top with the mashed avocado (seasoned with salt, pepper and lemon juice), a handful of watercress and the smoked salmon.
2. If you are adding a poached egg, place this on top of the salmon. Squeeze extra lemon juice and drizzle oil over everything.