- 1Kg Beef cut into 4cm chunks
- 750g Kennedy’s Rooster Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 30g unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 150g turnip, peeled & diced
- 500ml red wine
- 500ml beef stock
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp plain flour
Irish Hearty Beef And Potato Stew
- In a large oven proof dish, heat a tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl. Season the beef with salt and pepper dip in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Add half the meat to the casserole dish and cook over a medium high heat until brown, turning until chunks are sealed.
- Transfer the meat to a bowl and repeat the process using the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Remove the meat and melt the butter in the casserole dish. Add the onions, potatoes, carrots and turnip and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened.
- Add the wine and bring to a boil, stirring to remove any sticky pieces on the bottom of the casserole dish. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil.
- Re-add the browned meat and juices along with the thyme, garlic and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer over a low heat until the meat is tender, about 1½ – 2 hours.
*This recipe was originally published on potatoe.ie