· 2 potatoes (e.g. Rooster potatoes)
· 200g mashed potatoes
· 80g plain flour
· 2 tbsp olive oil
· 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
· Egg yolk of 1 egg
· 1 knob butter
· fresh chives, chopped
· 25 g mixed baby salad leaves
· 100 g bacon rashers or bacon pieces
· salt and pepper
· 2 spring onion
CLASSIC IRISH BOXTY POTATO WITH SIDE SALAD
1. Peel and grate the potatoes, then add salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle with the flour and add the egg yolk. Add the mashed potatoes and mix again to a thick batter. Once mixed divide the mixture into four.
2. Place a pan over a medium heat, add the olive oil and bacon and sauté for 2-3 minutes until golden.
3. Add the spring onions and fry until softened.
4. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add butter and once melted, add the potato cakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
5. To serve: serve Boxty Potato on a plate. Place the salad leaves in a bowl, dress with the balsamic vinegar, add bacon and season generously. Arrange the salad on each potato cake and garnish with chives.